Yogesh Samsi is a prominent Indian Tabla Player who belongs to the Punjab Gharana (one of the six playing styles of tabla). Yogesh Samsi is the disciple of Ustad Alla Rakha.
Yogesh Samsi was born on Sunday, 17 November 1968 (age 54 years; as of 2023) in New Delhi, India. His zodiac sign is Scorpio. He completed his formal education in New Delhi. Yogesh Samsi is settled in Mumbai, Maharashtra, India.
Height (approx.): 5′ 6″
Hair Colour: Salt & Pepper (half bald)
Eye Colour: Dark Brown
Parents & Siblings
Yogesh Samsi’s father, Pandit Dinkar Kaikini was an Indian classical singer. He passed away in 2010 due to a prolonged illness. Yogesh Samsi’s mother, Shashikala Kaikina is an Indian classical singer and a tutor. His mother was the former Principal of the Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan’s Music School, in Mumbai.
Yogesh Samsi has a sister, Aditi Kaikini Upadhya, who is also an Indian classical singer and a teacher.
Wife & Children
Yogesh Samsi is married to Kavita Samsi. She is a homemaker. The couple has two sons, Shravan Samsi and Avneesh Samsi. Shravan Samsi is a drummer and a music producer. Avneesh Samsi is pursuing his schooling in Mumbai, India.
Yogesh Samsi has performed at various different concerts in many countries like the United States of America, Canada, Japan, and South Africa. Yogesh Samsi has performed at concerts like the International Festival of Music in Kuwait (2010), Harballabh Sangeet Sammelan (2002-2012), Darbar Festival (UK, 2006-2012), Tansen Sangeet Samaroh (Gwalior-2005), The Concert for the World Bank (Washington, DC-2007), and Bengal Classical Music Festival in 2016. Yogesh Samsi also performed at The Sydney Opera House in 2012 and at The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, Washington, DC in 2007.
Television & Radio
Yogesh Samsi has been featured in numerous television and radio shows like British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC- UK), South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC), Doordarshan (India), All India Radio (AIR- India), StarPlus India, and Idea Jalsa on Zee TV India.
In 2005, Yogesh Samsi released his Tabla solo album ‘Yogesh Samsi- The Tabla Series.’ The album has a total of 13 tracks.
In 2011, Yogesh Samsi featured in a collaboration album with Pandit Shivkumar Sharma (Santoor maestro), ‘Raga Renaissance: Indian Classical Music Renditions On Santoor.’
Yogesh Samsi has featured in collaboration albums with many Indian Classical Musicians like Ajoy Chakrabarty, Shahid Parvez, Ustad Vilayat Khan, and Ustad Rashid Khan.
Awards, Honours, Achievements
- In 2017, Yogesh Samsi received the Sangeet Natak Akademi Award for his contribution to Indian Classical Instrumental Music.
- In 2020, Yogesh Samsi received the’ Gaanasaraswati Kishori Amonkar Sangatkar Puruskar’ for his contribution to accompaniment and solo performance.
- Musician(s): Ustad Alla Rakha, Zakir Hussain, and Ustad Shahid Parvez.
- Yogesh Samsi started playing tabla at the age of 4 and got his initial training from Pandit Taranath Rao.
- Yogesh Samsi used to accompany his mother, Shashikala Kaikini on her show to learn and understand the basics of rhythm and Indian Classical Singing.
- Yogesh Samsi started his professional training under Ustad Alla Rakha at the age of 10. He got training under Ustad Alla Rakha for 23 years.
- Yogesh Samsi is a member of the advisory board of the music department at the Savitribai Phule Pune University (SPPU), Pune, Maharashtra, India.
- Yogesh Samsi is a member of Saaz Music, an independent Indian Classical Music organization in the United Kingdom.
- Yogesh Samsi is the chief advisor for educational activities and promotions of Indian Classical Music for the famous music organization, Darbar Arts Culture Heritage Trust.
- In 2017, Yogesh Samsi, along with other Indian Classical artists like Pandit Suresh Talwalkar (Tabla maestro) and Pandit Hariprasad Chaurasia (Flautist), was appointed as a ‘Guru’ at India’s biggest Gurukul, Vishwashanti Sangeet Kala Academy, run by the M.I.T group of Institutes In Pune.
- Yogesh Samsi conducts online and offline workshops to teach students from all around the world.
- Yogesh Samsi has performed with many famous artists like Pandit Shivkumar Sharma, Ustad Ali Akbar Khan (Sarod maestro), Pandit Amjad Ali Khan (Sarod maestro), Anindo Chatterjee (Tabla maestro), Pandit Dinkar Kaikini (Indian Classical singer), Pandit Birju Maharaj (Indian Kathak dancer), and Ustad Zakir Hussain.
Let the article source Yogesh Samsi Wiki, Age, Wife, Children, Family, Biography & More of website thptbinhthanh.edu.vn